Donut is a globally accepted sweet that brings joy into our life. Romanians think of the same way. To make these Romanian sweets you can order every single ingredient from foodartuk.com , enjoy it!
- 200 g cow’s cheese (or feta cheese)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- zest of one lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups vegetable oil to fry
- sour cream
- Grate or crumble the cheese and add it to a large bowl.
- Mix in the egg, sugar, lemon zest and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the flour and knead until you get a dough that is still very slightly sticky. Shape it into a ball.
- Let the dough to rest for about 15-20 minutes.
- Divide the dough into 4 smaller balls.
- To make the doughnut, make a hole in the middle of the dough and give it a nice round shape.
- Heat up a large pan and add the oil.
- Add one doughnut and one ball and let them fry on each side for about 2 minutes until golden.
- Remove with a spatula and transfer to a plate lined with kitchen towel to absorbe any excess oil.
- Serve with sour cream and jam.